Wednesday, December 14, 2011

O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree

One of my fondest childhood memories is going to get our Christmas tree.  We'd bundle up and cram in a borrowed pick up truck and off we'd go to find the perfect tree.  Mom always wanted a big fat tree.  dad didn't care as long as it made us happy.  We'd put gloves and a scarf on the tree just in case it was the one and we had to come back for it.  we'd cut it down and drag it out and head home, driving carefully not to lose the tree along the road.  Then it had to sit inside for 24 hours before you could decorate it.  Dad would help hang the lights and disappear as Mom, Jenn & I each took our side to decorate...I'm the left, Mom's the middle, and Jenn's the right.  Dad would come back to tell us where we needed more and just in time to turn out the lights and see it glow for the first time.

We've started that tradition with Ella.  We bundle her up and off we go.  It often takes us several trips to different tree farms to find "the one."  This year was my favorite so far.  It was unseasonably warm but the smile on my princesses face as she ran through the trees saying "I'm in the trees!" brought a smile to my face.





We got the tree up once she was in bed and the next morning as we got to the bottom of the steps I heard "there's a tree!"  I knew this would be the year I will never forget.  Daddy hung Santa and the lights.  And this year, Ella got the honor of hanging the very first ornament.  Watching her hang that first ornament brought tears to my eyes.  She has her very own box...all soft and safe for little hands.







No comments:

Post a Comment